May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and here are L.A. CADA’s best tips for managing the stress that impacts our mental health:
- Exercise. Working out regularly is one of the best ways to relax your body and mind and improve your mood. You have to do it often for it to pay off.
- Deep Breathing. Want to de-compress fast? Stop and take a few deep breaths. Once you get good at this, you’ll be able to feel better right away. Do it for 5-10 minutes at a time.
- Eat Well. We get it, there’s no time. But if you make yourself plan and prepare a regular, well-balanced diet, this really helps to control your moods. You know the routine – vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and lean protein for energy.
4. Eliminate Your Triggers. Sit down and make a list of the biggest causes of stress in your life. Once you’re able to identify what they are, work to eliminate them from your life, or at least reduce them. We can’t do anything about our bosses, but we can change the way we think about them.
- Talk About Your Problems. Counseling and mental health apps are a great way to discuss our issues. But you can also talk to yourself – it’s called self-talk and we all do it. Many times we say things to ourselves that we’d never say to a friend: ‘I always fail’, I never win’. In order to use self-talk to help reduce stress, we need to make sure it’s 100% positive: ‘I can do this!’ or ‘ I did my very best.’
Check it out: Use Self-Talk to Build Confidence and Self-Esteem